Worms are unwanted living creatures in the body that give troubles to the body ranging from blood disorders to indigestion. Depending upon the type of worm, different worms have different signs and symptoms in the body. Worm infestation is very common in kids as they are susceptible to infection because of poor hygiene practices in early childhood. There are huge numbers of worms’ species but Tapeworms, Roundworms, Threadworms or Pinworms and Hookworms are some of the common species that trouble humans, more specifically children. Though the worm infestation is not a threatening condition, it does bring severe discomfort and malnourishment.
Ayurvedic Description Of Worm Infestation
In Ayurveda, this condition is known as Krimi Rog and these Krimis or worms are of three types as per Ayurvedic texts. The Kaphaj Krimi, Raktaj Krimi and Purishaj Krimi. Based on their location and factors, these worms tend to give different signs and symptoms. However, some of the signs and symptoms remain the same in all of these.
Signs & Symptoms
- Inflammation of intestine
- Iron-deficiency anemia
- Protein deficiency
- Abdominal distension
- The signs and symptoms do vary according to the kind of infection of worm in the body
Causes and Risk Factors
The eggs of the worms are capable of surviving from days to weeks without feeding. The soil containing worms or eggs in the areas such as playgrounds, touching pets or the animal excreta infected with worms can cause worm infestation.
2. Poor hygiene
Poor hygiene practice among kids is one of the main causes of worm infestation. Inadequate and improper hands washing habit makes the kids eat with dirty hands. In the case of pinworm infestation, kids scratch their anus and the eggs of these pinworms come in the contact with the skin of their hands and these eggs then spread while touching other things or eating food.
3. Contaminated food/water
Eating unwashed vegetables, improperly or undercooked meat, infected water may carry worms or their eggs/larvae on them and cause worm infestation in person who eats this contaminated food.
4. Unprotected feet
Worms like filarial etc. enters the human body while walking bare feet.
Self Care Tips
- Healthy, hygienic food and dietary habits are recommended to avoid the infection.
- The food must be properly cooked and served hot.
- Till the period of infection, non-vegetarian foods like red meat and pork should be avoided.
- Fruits and vegetables must be washed thoroughly before putting them in the cooking pot.
- Washing of hands is necessary before and after eating meals and after playing with pets.
- Drink boiled and purified water always.
- Clean the surfaces, corners, and floors of your home with disinfectants.
For the treatment of worms, the causative factors are to be avoided and eliminated. Effective measures for body purgation are taken to clean the body. After this, medications to kill the worms (krimighan aushadhs) are given. Along with this, the impetus should also be on to restore the body fire. Ayurveda is very effective against intestinal worms and has no adverse effects on the body as compared to chemical medications.