Arthritis is a disorder that involves inflammation of one or more joints. Clinically, there are more than 100 different forms of arthritis, most common being Osteoarthritis, other forms are rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and related autoimmune arthritic diseases. Mild to severe pain is a common symptom seen in all types of arthritis.
Ayurvedic Description Of Arthritis
Ama Vata, Sandhi Vata and Vata-rakta are the Ayurvedic terms for different forms of Arthritis. Ama or the toxins are produced as a result of impaired digestion, which by the virtue of aggravated Vata gets transported to the joints thus causing the Ama Vata or the Arthritis. Osteoarthritis or Sandhi Vata is also a form of arthritis, which occurs due to the deposition of Ama in the joints.
Signs & Symptoms
- Joint stiffness
- Aching around the joints
Causes and Risk Factors
1. Age and Gender
The risk of developing most types of arthritis increases with age. Women are more likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis than men, while most of the people who have gout, another type of arthritis, are men.
Specific genes are associated with a higher risk of certain types of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus erythematous (SLE), and ankylosing spondylitis.
Excess weight can contribute to both the onset and progression of knee osteoarthritis.
4. Joint Injuries
Damage to a joint can contribute to the development of osteoarthritis in that joint.
Many microbial agents can infect joints and potentially cause the development of various forms of arthritis.
Certain occupations involving repetitive knee bending and squatting are associated with osteoarthritis of the knee.
Self Care Tips
- Physical activity is beneficial for persons with Rheumatoid arthritis with complaints of fatigue.
- Avoid food items that increase the element of Vata in the body.
- Drink warm water containing one teaspoon of turmeric every day. This relieves arthritic pain.
- Rub peppermint or sandalwood paste or hot vinegar on the affected area.
- Mix two teaspoons of honey and two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in warm water and drink this mixture each day in the morning. This is one of the important home remedies for arthritis.
Ayurvedic remedies and treatment seemed really effective in treating arthritis. The first line of treatment includes the digestion of Ama and the reduction of Vata dosha followed by the efforts to relieve the pain and inflammation.